Rodents are one of the most dreaded pests for homes and pests alike. This is because rodents can cause damage and spread germs and bacteria all over your property. Foul odors, rodent droppings, and gnaw marks are the top three signs you have a rodent infestation. As soon as you spot the signs of rodents, it’s important to contact the rodent exterminators at Florida Pest Control. In addition to rodent control, we provide exclusion services to ensure you never have to spot the signs of rats or mice in your South Florida property again.
Need a Pest Control Estimate?
We'll call you! Leave your information below.
What Are the Signs of Rodents?
Rats and mice are not subtle creatures—if you have an infestation, it’s only a matter of time before they make their presence known. That said, they are nocturnal creatures that aren’t typically seen during the day. That makes it crucial to look for the signs of a mice infestation at all times:
- Rat or mouse droppings: Rodent feces are odorous and can cause a safety hazard. This is the most telling rodent infestation sign.
- Odors: A stale smell that you can’t explain or foul odor from droppings and urine are big indicators of an active infestation.
- Scratching noises: If you notice chewing, scratching, or gnawing sounds in the attic or in your walls, it’s probably due to mice or rats.
- Gnaw marks: If you check your food pantry and notice packages with little holes or gnaw marks, it is indicative that rats or mice have been eating your food.
- Mice nests: Chewed up, shredded paper found in your attic, in boxes or in drawers can be a sign of rats or mice making nests in your home.
- Burrows or tunnels: Check under boards, in the doghouse, weedy spots, and near garbage cans for signs of burrows, which means rats and mice may be tunneling into your home.
- Smudges: Look for dirty smudges on walls, floors, and baseboards. Mice often run along these areas—repeated contact will leave distinctive marks.
- Live or dead mice: Spotting a mouse during the daytime can be an indication of a heavy infestation.
Where to Look for Signs of Mice Infestations
During the day, rats and mice alike will be hidden from view. There are several areas in the home where rodents often dwell, including attics, lofts, kitchens, laundry rooms, basements or cellars, and cavity walls. Mice can squeeze through openings the size of a dime and thus are capable of making just about any space their home. Seeing the signs of rats or mice in any of these areas indicates an infestation.
Need Help Looking for Rodent Signs?
If you suspect rodent activity in your home or business, it’s time to call a professional rodent exterminator. At Florida Pest, our rodent control team is trained to locate the source of a rodent infestation and knows every sign of their activity. To set up an inspection, contact us today.Back to Rodent Exterminators – Rat & Mice Exterminators
Signs You Have a Rodent Infestation in Miami-Dade, Broward County
Serving Miami Dade Metro Area - Fort Lauderdale - Broward County - West Palm Beach