Pantry beetles are one of the most common pest problems for home and business owners in South Florida. If you’ve had them, you know how distressing it can be to open up a bag of flour or rice to discover minuscule bugs crawling everywhere. Pantry pests and beetles are insects that infest flour, cake mixes, grains, sugars, and other dried goods inside of homes and businesses. Also known as stored product pests, pantry beetles can be a big nuisance for farming and agriculture businesses, food processing plants, grocery stores, homes, and more. At Florida Pest Control, we know that a pantry pest problem is frustrating. Keep reading for our top tips to get rid of pantry beetles.
Need a Pest Control Estimate?
We'll call you! Leave your information below.
How to Identify Pantry Beetles and Pests
There are many types of pantry beetles and stored product pests that infest different types of items. These include weevils, red flour beetles, confused flour beetles, sawtoothed grain beetles, and Indian meal moths. To identify a pantry beetle problem, look for signs of damage, larvae, webbing, or tears in products. Some of the most common types of items infested by pantry beetles include:
- Stored grain
- Dried fruits
- Milled and processed cereal products
- Meat and any other dried food
- Dry ginger
- Dried fish
Pantry Pest Control in South Florida
The best form of pantry pest control is prevention. There are a few ways you can effectively keep pantry pests away:
- Properly store pantry items: Store dry goods and baking ingredients in airtight containers to keep beetles out.
- Use bay leaves: Place a bay leaf inside canisters of dry goods like flour, rice, and other grains to repel pantry beetles.
- Inspect groceries: At the grocery store, be wary of buying items that appear damaged or used.
- Check for expiration dates: Regularly look through your pantry and toss any expired items.
- Keep a clean kitchen: Promptly clean up spills or messes to avoid attracting beetles. Clean out your pantry on a regular basis.
Get Rid of Pantry Beetles in Your Property
Whether you run a food processing plant or own a home, it’s important to be aware of the threat of pantry pests. If you discover an infestation, it’s important to get rid of them quickly and safely. Toss any infested items in a secure trash can outdoors, and thoroughly clean out your shelves. If you’re still dealing with beetles, it’s recommended to call an expert pantry beetle exterminator, such as Florida Pest Control.Back to Beetle Exterminators – Control – Removal
How to Get Rid of Pantry Beetles in Miami-Dade, Broward County
Serving Miami Dade Metro Area - Fort Lauderdale - Broward County - West Palm Beach